Monday, November 26, 2012

Oh, what a day.


Oh, what a day.
I will spare you (most) the details, but today has been tough!
Oliver has been sick, which is another way of saying we don't get sleep at night.
So when I opened my eyes too early this morning to see a bright eyed preschooler standing on my bed (over my face), with toys, expectations, and demands, all I could muster was "Shhhhh!" Don't wake your brother*!
Sleep, must have sleep... mumble mumble.
But sleep was not had, the toddler's enthusiasm was too great, the sleeping baby roared, and the day kicked into gear.
So much worry, hurry, discipline, instruction. So many reasons to wash my hands. So many timeouts.
This has been a hard day for me, but poor Greta. She was on the receiving end of my day.
She is sleeping right now. She hasn't napped in like 2 years.
I know, because I just tip toed into her room with a snack (wrapped like a present, her favorite thing ever) and an apology. Not an apology for putting her in timeout from her timeout... she needed that. But for something I just read and didn't do today...

"When my children used to walk in the room... I looked at them to see if they had buckled their trousers or if their hair was combed or if their socks were up. You think your affection and your deep love is on display because you're caring for them. It's not. When they see you, they see the critical face." Does your face light up when your child comes into the room? she asked. Because they notice.
-Toni Morrison via Cup of Joe

Ugh. Fail.
And now that I have an opportunity at a mother's holy grail... a nap, I don't want to sleep. I just want to stand over her bed and tell her what's on my mind. I think she should know that moms aren't always right.

*Who sleeps several yards from me which means our bedroom is half of the day a Lion's Den. And we whisper and tip toe around our adorable and ferociously hungry little lion every morning and every night.

image/print by Raw Art Letterpress

1 comment:

  1. Oh Skirst...this stabbed me right through the heart too!! :( Except I feel like I fail Brennan and Luke EVERY day. Ugh. I understand the sleep deprivation and the "being annoyed" at every.single.thing kind of days. *sigh* I hope Brennan will forgive me and that I will stop having my "critical face" on when I look at him because heaven knows I love that boy and he is such a treasure!

    ReplyDelete