He is one of the family....let me explain.
Family can get all kinds of messy when your parents are divorced. It's sad in a variety of ongoing ways. But there can be a lot of beauty in those hard places.
I've always held Ecclesiastes 3:11 close to my heart.
"He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end."
Some things won't have their beauty until heaven, but there is a lot that can be found here and now.
Like, I know my dad. I know him so much better than I did when my parents were together. I don't get to take him for granted by lumping him into the broad title "Mom-and-Dad". It's Mom, and Dad now.
They are more their own people in my mind. Different, separate, each with their own personalities and gifts to bring to the table.
And our relationship has grown because of this, I think, but also we get to see him so much more!
Being a retired bachelor means he can come and share life with us any time, and he does, and we love it. He's a huge part of our life.
He's one of us at our house. He knows the kids quirks, and how to put Oliver down with a bottle. He helps with errands, reads bedtime stories, knows where everything is, and the study/guestroom is mainly referred to as "Grandpa's room". Being around him at home is as casual and normal as being around Kent.
When he goes home (his real home) we miss him, the kids ask about him, and there's a little whisper of a feeling that our family just got smaller.
Because, see he's truly one of the family.
Love you Dad! Happy Father's Day!

No comments:
Post a Comment