Friday, July 19, 2013

Bread Matters

We go through a lot of bread around here.
With 4 pieces of toast every morning for our breakfasts*, GGs love for PBJs, and toast being one of my all time favorite snacking foods, a lot of bread is consumed. Enough at least to raise Kent's eyebrows, as we go through almost a loaf a day on the weekends, and enough to start him talking about nonsense like "A better way".
See I don't just toast any bread. Not all bread is destined for the toaster.
A few years back I narrowed down the world's best bread for toasting down to Milton's Multi Grain-Plus. The plus is very important. I've seen Milton's Multi Grain in most grocery stores, but Multi Grain-Plus, I've only seen at Costco. And it is the only one bread I've found with the perfect amount of sweet density that holds up to toasting without becoming a crouton. Also, it comes wrapped twice and practically never dries out.
So, with his love for frugality and a cooking adventure, Kent has decided he'd like to start making our own Milton's Multi Grain bread.
We found a recipe here, and late last night the sweet smell of fresh baked bread filled our home.
It was awesome. There was toast Ma Ingalls would have been proud of and an epic PBJ the next day.
Will this truly become the way of life, and ongoing money saver that we initially dreamed? Mmmm, Probably not. My guess is that the time it took (3-ish hours ) is going to be a bit of a bump on that road. Let's be real, I know us.
But I can definitely see this being an item on Kent's Roster of All Stars**



Ps- I'd like to be clear, that the idea, purchasing of ingredients, and baking of this bread was done completely by Kent, with help from Greta. Baking is still something I am waiting to want to do. Maybe when I'm 30? It's funny, I thought I'd enjoy it by now.

*The kids love toast (it seems) as much as I do!
**  Foods he makes that no one else can touch. Like his home made meatballs & marinara, and Saturday pancakes.

1 comment:

  1. This post is relevant to my interests. :)

    Also, I have a recipe for beer bread that's no-rise insta-bake. It comes out pretty dense, and makes great toast and sandwiches. Tasty and easy, my two favorite ingredients.

    ReplyDelete