This face...look at this face.
Would you say no to it?
Well you may not have to, but I certainly do. Especially since in this picture, he is asking for more coffee.
And that about sums up Oliver these days. Adorable and inquisitive.
Everything
is a question, with that up turned note at the end. But not just any
question, it's food or drink he is asking for 9 times out of 10. "Want
applesauce?" Somefin to eat? Want somefin to eat? Have some Mommy? Want some of that? (Each
word ending in that adorably high pitched questioning way).
And with
each no, he gets closer, cuter, quieter, until he is on my lap, and we are nose to nose, as he's whispering "Somefin
to eat" and I'm whispering "Nooo". To which he finally drops the cute and becomes hopping mad. Literally, he hops. The worst attitude you will ever see on this child is directly related to food refusal. Such a shame.
But the answer has to be no sometimes. Because -I need you to take me for my word here- He eats All. Day. Long.
Because he is my child, and food is paramount.
And also I think because, being Kent's child, he has long since solved all the
household mysteries that a curious boy need solve. He is just looking for something to do...which brings us back to food is paramount.
A potentially dangerous combination. Or at least, it keeps me very busy.
One
of the best things we have done for him lately is to buy him a big bag
of play tools from a consignment shop. A wood plane, screwdrivers,
hammers, a saw, you name it, and just enough plastic screws to make me angry. Just enough to never be able to find them all when you want to put them away, but still manage to always be underfoot when you are making dinner.
I knew all of this
when I bought this bag of tools.
But
I also knew, him and those tools belonged together. Since then he has been
fixing chairs, door handles, heater grates, and generally keeping things ship shape.
With a few snuggles in between.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment