Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Big Bed!

Another milestone. Last week we said buh-bye to little Thing's crib.
In one sense it was a relief to see it go. It was given to us second hand (which was awesome), but it has been losing nuts and bolts for ages now and it was a huge relief to see it collapse once and for all! And not with my baby in it. The wood support underneath was actually cracked right in half (probably from the jumping jacks) and no amount of brackets or screws were going to fix it this time. So Greta slept on her little mattress safely on the floor that night.
Now on the other hand I had been dreading this very moment since about a year ago when she became the escapist. Oh no I thought...she is free range. I'm never going to sleep in again. Sticky fingers are going to pry my eyes open at 5:30 am every morning until forever. 
And then the miraculous happened. She stayed in bed that night, and every night after. When I go in at 10:00-ish in the morning she's just sitting on her mattress, 5 inches off of the floor, waiting for me to "get her up".
I know. We are the luckiest parents on the land masses of Earth. Perhaps it wont last, but she really went up in our books that day. I think we even made her heir (congrats on the crappy tv).
Kent became adamant that he sew her a new blanket for her big(ger) bed, so that someday she would take it to college with her and fondly remember old dad. Not to mention crib/toddler bedding is such a racket*.  We are both beaming with pride over how it turned out, so bright and cheerful, wonky stitching and all.
We ordered a little brown bed off of amazon and refinished and painted it a glossy black over the weekend so she was all set to move in Monday night. And now I think officially our little thing is not so little anymore.


























*Boo-hiss to spending $60-up on something the size of a bath towel.

3 comments:

  1. Big bed, woohoo! She'll be dating in no time... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute bed and the blanket is beautiful!! Good job Kent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, she is too big! For some reason, I'm having trouble adjusting to this big girl bed. Jumping on it helps though. Great blanket!

    ReplyDelete