Monday, June 21, 2010

The Escapist

We went a-visiting my dad this weekend for Father's Day. Which is so fun to do, but also a guaranteed way to lose sleep, which is why we don't pursue that kind of fun often.
Greta (as well as I think all toddlers) has a system, and functions best within the system. Eat, play, sleep, repeat...at home. But throw in another variable like travel, visiting, different bed and your guaranteed new and exciting results.
Yesterday Thing made a new discovery. We had just put her in her play pen for a nap when my grandparents came by. She must have felt very motivated to join the party because just as I was telling them she was asleep, in what felt like movie timing, Kent points to the hall and says "No, I think we have a problem."
Greta was standing there, legs firmly planted apart, looking very pleased, maybe even a little drunk with power.
I couldn't figure out how she was there? I put her in her crib mysel....uh oh. She has learned the ancient art of escapism.
We brought her in to her play pen to see if it was just a fluke and before she touched the mat she had her leg up, over, flip, slide and she was out.
Oh no. I went pale. Visions of an empty toddler bed with a strong willed child freely roaming the premises at all hours, singing drinking songs, boisterously hoisting 2 gallon jugs of milk, flashed before me.  Gasp! Not yet!
Thankfully, her crib at home is taller and will buy us some time.
Not to say I didn't watch her like a hawk through the crack in the door when she went to sleep this afternoon. I've got my eye on that Thing...it's only a matter of time.
Here she is explaining to grandpa how she did it over a couple of drinks....

1 comment: