Have you done spaghetti squash before?
This time of year squash starts to pop up on my radar. It's so festive and autumnal, and also it's kind of everywhere you turn. So in the spirit of not letting foods intimidate me I have been taking them home the last couple years and trying them out one by one. 2009 there was butternut squash (I swear that took three hours to cook, and was an overall crunchy nightmare.) 2010 the year of the acorn squash (halved and roasted with a little butter and brown sugar...getting tastier, but still eating it mostly out of obligation to be festive.)
2011 spaghetti squash! Oh my gosh so good.
The trick is to treat like spaghetti noodles and present it to your unsuspecting children as their favorite Italian dish.
Seriously, just cook the whole big squash in the microwave for 12 minutes, halve it, shred it with a fork and it makes the coolest wee noodles.
(We combined it with our favorite spaghetti sauce, some chicken, garlic, and herbs, then topped it with a mozzarella panko crust.)
Then you just bake it and take it out looking all "what I'm just a spaghetti dish?"
Greta ate seconds while her parents smiled on with those smug looks parents get when they feel they've got the best of the situation.
But really everyone did, because it was healthy (I'm sure something as hippie as squash is crazy healthy, or they wouldn't be eating it and making the skins into drums.) and over all one of my better dinners lately!
Picture and more squash recipe ideas by The Pioneer Woman
Friday, September 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

With its funky texture, I was surprised you liked it, but wasn't crazy about butternut (which the good folks at Costco have cubed for you and are holding in their produce cooler).Your recipe sounds yummy, no wonder it's kid tested,mother approved!
ReplyDeletesounds super delicious!
ReplyDelete