Thursday, February 9, 2012

Adventures.

One of Greta's favorite things to do lately is to play under a tan knit afghan. She calls it our "house." It's not a very big house, and my legs usually don't get to play indoors. 
But we have it all worked out. She puts the same two pillows on the floor by the front window, we sit on them, and we cover ourselves with the afghan. 
Instantly we are transported to an outdoor camp site far away, and the light that shines in through the holes of the blanket are the stars - it is always "night." 
After commenting on the pretty stars and how dark it is she will usually say something about how she wishes she had her torch. (This she got from watching Kipper the Dog, who being British, calls flashlights torches.)
Then she will open her hands like a book and say "Once Upon A time deep in the middle of the dark dark woods there was a...Huh! What was that? Let's have a look!" and she will peer out and say reassuringly "Oh, It's only Big Owl," and sometimes for drama she will add an ominous "Hoooo hooooo."
Then it's time to rest our heads and sleep (my favorite time, because it's basically just snuggling), then tea time, and then back again to reading the book in her hands and being startled by Big Owl.
When we tire of camping and Big Owl loses his spook then it's off to the moon. (Did I tell you our little house flies...kind of like an upside down magic carpet.) We say hi to the "Beep Beeps" that live on the moon, then on our way back home we stop by Paris to see Madeline and the Eiffel Tower, then lastly to Africa to see the animals.
This whole elaborate make believe runs something like a play and we go over it again and again.
(I'm pretty sure the parts with the Big Owl and the Beep Beeps are directly from some episode of Kipper.)
Finally when something truly pressing calls us back home, we throw off the blanket to find ourselves back in the living room and with the wildest dandelion hair imaginable.
Someday (probably soon) I'll forget all the little details of our afghan adventures. Because I know I've already forgotten so much of the sweet things she's done here and there when I'm too busy to take pictures or write them down. 
But they are such good memories, aren't they?

2 comments:

  1. This post makes my heart happy. I love your Greta Girl so much! She sounds like the sweetest thing and such a joy. Love her imagination! She sounds like a friend I have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so happy that you are documenting these treasures! Greta has the perfect Mommy for her and I adore seeing how her mind and imagination just blossoms and drifts through her special worlds. What a dear and precious time. Loving you both so much!

    ReplyDelete