Happy Birthday Greta! Happy Anniversary Us! Happy Christmas Everyone! Happy Birthday Dad!
Happy What Have You!... but please don't put me in charge of the party.
I am partied out. As I usually am, after the Colossal Party that is December.
My little girl is another year older and had her first real birthday party with little friends, games, goody bags and a pinata*. Kent and I celebrated our 6th year of marriage!
Jesus was born so we celebrated that with the usual Christmas fanfare (which I can never have enough of, so we try and do it all), and we celebrated my dad's birthday the last half of the day.
It all writes down easily enough, but I just about cried every single day as I was just barely paddling from one celebration, or gift purchase, or dinner potluck to the next. Not tears of sadness of course, mostly the heavy drag of sleep deprivation (from weeks of family illnesses), and the mounting hysteria from unceasing to-dos could no longer be contained inside of my person, and were leaking out in the form of tears. Totally healthy.
Christmas, just as I crossed the finishing line I finally ran out of steam. So I slunked around in my pj's all day and then slept in them (oh look! I'm ready for bed.) I could make a Christmas Roast Dinner and bang out another birthday cake**, but the Christmas miracles stopped at makeup and teeth brushing. As it was, it didn't really matter. The party was with family and for family, and that's what mostly mattered.
See I have always had a terrible fear that I might take living for granted, and that I might somehow miss out on the 'muchness' of everything, and bitterly regret it. This shows itself most around milestones and holidays where I do my best to celebrate things up to the rafters. But especially at Christmas, where the pressure to celebrate is great, and there is so much to take in.
And although I can't even begin to post all the pictures, or make a perfect recap of each special moment or milestone, I will tell you that our holidays were Merry and Jesus made them bright.
I hope yours was too!
Xoxo!
Ps- Oliver is crawling. We are upping our game.
*Which was a total bust, because we failed to give her the ground rules for pinatas before hand. So when the thing hit the ground (after it's round of beatings) and her cousins pounced on it to rip its delicious insides out, she totally freaked. Whoops! Forgot to tell her that her beautiful rainbow colored pinata was supposed to be crushed to paper pulp, and its insides distributed among the quick and hearty.
It was slightly traumatic. But now we know. Learning the ways of the world one year at a time.
**For my dad's Christmas Day Birthday, which I didn't give nearly enough thought to. I only just remembered about the cake on Christmas Eve when all of the stores were already closed. It was providential we had a box of coffee cake mix on hand...and that my dad likes coffee cake.
Thursday, December 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment