I have been trying to get to Costco all week, but with one thing or another it kept getting pushed back.
And nothing breaks my heart quite like that hollow eyed look Kent gets (I get it too) when there is nothing that he can eat in the house, except maybe an apple and peanut butter....again. Or hummus and carrots...again.
I am determined that we are not going to live that way. Hummus again, is no life.
Life is going to be full, and fun, and delicious, just like it has always been.
So I could not put Oliver down for his nap fast enough, before I was speeding to Costco in my best red shoes*, to go find something that would confirm this for us.
This is important to me. It is one of the few areas where I can really help, and one of the very few things that I can control. And I would give a LOT to come home with something that makes Kent's eyes light up. That was my goal.
Tall order.
On the upside they are throwing ancient grains into everything now, and gluten free is everywhere. So that's good news for a 2013 diabetic, because I'm sure last year these things were harder to find.
And they are even coming out on a grand scale with chia, which is a cereal! (most cereal, and oatmeal, and just about any breakfast food is a big no no for the type 1 diabetic).
But don't get too excited. Yes it's technically cereal, but the serving size is 2 tablespoons, so you best be eating your "cereal" in a tea cup you giant man-squirrel.
But I got it, along with an astronomically priced box of chocolate mint glucose stabilizing bars, that Kent better think is delicious- because that's dessert - dammit.
Add a mountain of fruits and vegetables, and you have my trip to Costco.
Not the trip I imagined. No magic food that somehow means late night snacking is back on**, or anything that I could come bursting in triumphantly with.
And it was more expensive than any Costco trip in living memory. You definitely pay to eat like a woodland animal.
But this is still the beginning.
We are dialing everything back, knowing that in the future as we get a handle on blood sugar highs and lows, we will be reintroducing some fun things here and there.
Lots of hope.
*Seriously, these shoes are my new favorite thing I've ever owned, next to my rain boots of course. They are clogs technically, with a platform wood sole that goes clop clop when I walk, and sounds distinctly equine.
They are cherry red, and the color, and the height, and the milk maid-ness of them are so cheerful I have been cantering all over town in them.
**Which is OUR THING. We are health loving folks. We always steered away from most processed foods and too many sweets, and teach our kids likewise.
But at 7:30pm, every night, we would snuggle in to watch something hilarious, and giggle with excitement at all of the late night snacking possibilities before us. Anything goes when the kids are in bed. And the saltier, the fatter, or later in the night it was, the wider our conspiring grins.

No comments:
Post a Comment