Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Getting Cozy




It has been freezing cold here the last few weeks, and all I've wanted to do is pull my socks up to my knees, drink tea, and make our house cozy and warm.

Nesting really kicks into overdrive right before the holidays. It's pretty primal really. All of a sudden I've got the all consuming desire to do odd house projects, re-paint everything in our house that's white, and fill the cracks around windows and doors.
I want to stockpile food, and make hearty meals in our giant red pot. I want to buy all the candles, and set our house ablaze.
I want to put wreaths* on all the vertical surfaces, and lamb skin rugs on all the horizontals.
(Most importantly on our dining room chairs, because though we LOVE having metal chairs, they get arfully chilly on the cheeks come Winter.)

So now we have this house. Bright whites, fire everywhere, animal pelts, fresh greenery, hearty food. I was taking it all in, when it hit home...
We've got a serious Scandinavian thing going on here.
And one look down at my wooden shoes, and back up to my braided hair says, yes, I've got a very Scandinavian thing going on here.
I think there are some Swedish relatives on one of my mom's family tree branches cheering me on, and probably spilling glogg all over the lower German branches in the process.  
But seriously, it's getting out of hand. I almost bought one of those yule goats they sell at IKEA this time of year. Which I feel like I have no business buying. I don't even really want a yule goat.
I think you must first know why there is such a thing as a goat made of straw, in order to justify buying one...but still,  my eyes light up at the sight of them.
And in the quiet of the night, KeflavĂ­k, my spirit airport calls.

Should we gather the means to go yonder, I'd love to visit Stockholm. (I've been learning my please and thank you's (Tack!), just in case. It has never hurt to be prepared with polite phrases.)
But you check out this episode of Jamie Oliver's trip to Stockholm. I think it might make you want to put on your clogs and go too. Those mushrooms on the beach! You had me at eating mushrooms on the beach, Sweden.

Anyways, Thanksgiving is next week and Christmas is just around the corner. Both of which I'm looking forward to with a glad and peaceful heart. Our little pep talk a couple of weeks ago did a world of good.
And now thanks to a little elbow grease and a few extra wreaths and fuzzy woolens, I feel like Home is all set for a snug winter.
Next up, buy a turkey!

Also few fun posts about parenting in Norway and Denmark from Cup of Joe:
An American Parenting in Norway
How babies sleep in Denmark


 *Box wood wreaths are on sale now at Trader Joe's!

No comments:

Post a Comment