Thursday, May 22, 2014

Paris: Final Thoughts



Things that made a lasting impression:

-The 2 French children singing Let It Go (in English) walking down the sidewalk. "Be ze good gale you always 'ave to be!" The resignation of their parents was the same as ours would be at home.  There's unity in that.

-The one footed pigeon. Also the white pigeon.

-The Duck confit and Steak with pomme frites at Cafe du Marche. It was our first meal in Paris, and  our best. Also probably cheapest?

-Using the men's bathroom at a Le Quick restaurant on the Champs Elysees. (I thought the toilets just looked funny, you know, it's Europe.) Then yelling "NO!" in my best French Man Impression (basically gruff like a smoker, with an accent on the O...NO!) when some dude thought my stall was empty. Then locking myself in. Oh and then busting out finally and finding myself face to face with a confused looking fella waiting for his turn in the urinal- or whatever it was. We're still not clear on that.

-Escargots! Kent ate 12, and I ate one to be polite. Actually, I chewed it once and then swallowed it like a pill. One garlicky, buttery pill.  I think we'll skip the snails next time.

-The Chocolate Torsades!

-Our sweet little apartment, within a labyrinth of old apartments, behind the courtyard...with no smoke detector.
It took me a few days to not be bothered by that. My plan was to just jump out the window if there was an emergency. The window was just as big as any door, and just as easy to open. What's 5 stories? The stairs were the real killer. Ancient, shaped like a curly fry, worn to a slope, and a banister sometimes.
Oh France, you aint care.

-All those purple irises at the Jardin Tuileries. Like a warm purple dream.

- Seeing Greenland from the plane on our way back to Seattle.
Iceland was definitely the biggest surprise of the trip!
I don't love to fly, but I started to feel the welcome call of Iceland as soon as we got on our Iceland Air flight. Their funny menu literature, plane sized Bjork and Birkir, and Tourism movies piqued my interest, but then we landed and I was sold!
Can we just stop and pretend that there is such a thing as a spirit airport*? Well, I think Rekyavek is mine. It just felt right to be there, I never wanted to leave. I know, an airport. But we were both seriously hoping for delays so that we could stay, eat, and shop for a little while.
And I get the suspicion that the country is even better.
But I want Iceland to meet my babies.
Maybe someday it will be the site of a family trip of epic proportions. I can see that:)

Another day, another adventure!


*Something like your spirit animal...which is complete nonsense, but bear with me.
(Ps- Mine is an Otter-Wolf and Kent's is an owl.)

No comments:

Post a Comment