I was doing my thing at the gym today* where among the luxury of 45 minutes all to my own, I also get a glimpse into the world of television. (Picking up a few channels for free and by accident hardly qualifies as "having tv" at our house.)Usually I indulge in a little HGTV or the occasional Extreme Home Makeover, but today I settled on a biography of fabulous Doris Day.
Something about her just says to me "You are home now, relax." Probably comes from growing up with all her movies and yes... listening to her albums. (I prefer old-soul to mega-nerd by the way.)
She is so clean, bubbly, and stylish. When I was a girl and my friends and I would play house my name was always Kate McKay, after her character in Please Don't Eat the Daisies.
And why not? Who as a girl doesn't want to grow up to be the chic, successful career woman she always plays, who's dragging around Rock Hudsons and James Garners?
I know her life was not nearly as happy-charming as her movies, but she is one of those girls who totally charms me.
*Yep, months later and I'm still going to the gym. Anyone lose any bets?
image by Leo Fuchs 1963
Shannon and I always refer to a prime parking spot as "The Doris spot", because in all her movies, there's always a parking place available right in front of where she's going.
ReplyDeleteHaha! Richard, I totally know what you're talking about. What 'lucky' dame.
ReplyDelete