But sometimes a phenomena we at our house call a "Love-splosion" occurs, often without provocation, and during some mundane task like loading the car with groceries, causing an "I'm in love, I'm in love and I don't care who knows it!" effect, which can result in A) goofy smiles B) A quick text to tell the other person so they know and can feel good about themselves, or sometimes C) gushy blogging.
That being said. Something struck me today that reminded me why Kent is better than everyone*. He deeply experiences music. None of this la-la-that's catchy so I will listen to it to death kind of attitude. But he experiences music with the care, precision, and seriousness of a scientist, and the emotion and fervor of a starving artist.
Enter the LP.
For the above reasons he has always had a relationship (just a dish on the side) with records. I won't go into why because honestly I only understand the gist. Sometimes I like to ask him why records are better than cds (like I forgot) just to see him get all worked up and start drawing sound waves on napkins.
And one of the benefits of this is that I (a music lover but hopelessly dumb about it) get to glean from his knowledge and stay on top of what's new or old or timeless. We sometimes disagree, but the overlap of agreement is much larger. Example:
LOVE: Jonsi- Go, Kent just bought the record this weekend and it's my new boyfriend (I can have a dish on the side too...but don't tell buttered toast because buttered toast is my real boyfriend.)
DISCOVERING: Elvis Costello. I always loved "Pump it up", good for cleaning the house, but Kent brought home this treasure this weekend as well and he is teaching me the ways.
STILL LOOKING FOR: Hunky Dory, the most rocking killer David Bowie album with everyone of our favorites on it that has to this date escaped our grasp. If you, dear reader, come across this record (at a reasonable price) hold on to it, we would like it for Christmas.How about you? Have you had any Lovesplosions lately?
*You can un-bristle now, as I mean "to me" obviously.


Yep, for you my darling daughter! So glad you have your "boy" and Greta Girl, pure love-splosions!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this...what a great post. You expressed yourself with such humor and insight. I feel the same about my darling hubs of almost 18 years, but I don't think I could have said it so well. Lucky guy!
ReplyDeleteWe are in the grey day area too!
Ashlyn