Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Family Dinner
One of my favorite blogs to follow lately is "Dinner a Love Story". A food and family blog written by a husband and wife, who are both excellent cooks and humorous writers.
And it all started for me with this post here..."If You Cook it, They Will Come".
Give it a read through. Isn't family dinner so important? When I try and remember anything between 1990-2000 I mostly remember the family dinners.
The bar we all sat at, the cloth napkins we used, those blue plates, the pot mom cooked rice in (that always reminded me of a suit of armor), the smell of roasted this or that, or maybe smoking this or that*, those staple dishes that I haven't had the same way since. And we were all there together, even if we were kicking each other under the counter. (I drove my brother crazy with the way I used to wave my knife a little too close to his face when talking animatedly about something.)
But it is all a good reminder to push through the those 'too tired to cook because I'm pregnant and you're not' blues and the 'Is it really worth the three hour standoff with Greta to bring her to the table?'...because it really is worth it.
*But I'm not ragging on my mom. She's an amazing cook! Most of the time it was just something like burning sugar at the bottom of the oven from oh-so-amazing homemade cinnamon rolls that got to awesomely big for the pan. Even in the houses of the best chefs there will still be the saying "Where there's smoke there's dinner!"
image via: dinneralovestory.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ok, so apparently I am behind in my blog reading (darn job being too busy and not enough lulls at work between project!). I determined to balance a bottle under an armpit for the 7 month old, throw a handfull of goldfish at the two year old, stop work e-mails for a half sec to see how the Hello Grey Day crew is doing... A BABY? THERE ARE 4? Wow, things do change! Congratulations! Last I read there was a vaca sans The Thing...er Barley...er Greta and now a baby... Yay! Bravo!
ReplyDeleteThanks Charity! it was 'hush' for a little while but time is flying by and we will be finding out the gender in 3 weeks!
ReplyDeletePs- We call this one "Boots"...but I will write more about that soon:)
Happy Thanksgiving Week!
Boots! My curiosity is peaked!
ReplyDelete