Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It's just motherhood.




Excerpt from text message sent to Kent today at 11:45 a.m. :
"Being a mom is so blissful as long as you don't want to get anything done." 
This was a condensed rant on the pointlessness of goal making between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Any such attempts for creative or personal achievement during this time only creates stress and cradles utter depravity.

Yes, it's true. So as soon as I quite flailing against this immovable truth, it's amazing, my day suddenly brightens.
Perfect example, yesterday I spent the day being present with the kids. Mentally present that is.  (I am physically present for every waking second of their lives. Because you know, and I know, that if I were to physically leave the room at any point it would be apocalyptic and I would somehow be that mom on the news.
I have a few modest goals for my life, one of which is to not be the mom that makes the news.)
But yesterday was awesome, being mentally present meant not trying to write emails or brainstorm or trying to finish bits of a project, during our time together.
Just sit, and play with them. (Can anything be harder?) To paint when Greta paints, snack with Oliver, sit on the floor with toys when they are sitting on the floor with toys.  And then take pictures of all these normal daily rituals...because someday they will look extraordinary.
I got virtually nothing done yesterday. And my list is only getting longer.
But it was a little vacation of sorts to let them carry me through the flow of their day (instead of the other way around), and arrive at the evening without any signs of a struggle.

Today was the other sort of day. The day that happens after days like yesterday. (Which consequently results in more things to do.) Crazy hard work and more than a few prayers like "Lord, give me focus so I can just finish this quickly before my children rise up and revolt!"
So which is better? To do nothing but eat snacks and play blocks on the floor all day like yesterday? Or work tirelessly against the tide to make the house lovely, eat well, achieve your goals, and drive everyone crazy in the process.
Hah! Trick question. It's both, and it's just motherhood.



1 comment:

  1. A(wo)men! You CAN have it all. Just not on the same day, it turns out. xo, Meg

    ReplyDelete