Do you hate having your picture taken as much as I do?
Yesterday, I took so many pictures of myself in an attempt to capture one that I could deem normal enough to post in public places like fb, bio pages, and the like. (A difficult task, thanks to a very expressive face, that refuses to look natural, naturally.)
But I was embarrassed the whole time, and I blurted out the whole thing to Kent when he came home. "I took 1,000 pictures of my face today!!!" With the same guilt and urgency as if I was confessing "I robbed a bank today!!!
Why the sheepishness? I think partly it just feels so narcissistic, but why can I post pictures of our kids with pride and ease, but pictures of me (even pictures I like) I go back and take down almost immediately.
Well, obviously I'm not asking you to give me the answer. Mostly I'm just telling you, as an act of defiance (against myself) that I took 1,000 pictures of my face yesterday, and I'm going to become more comfortable with it, or at least pretend to be.
So I've added my mug to the sidebar*.
And by the way, I think it's telling that this picture, the one I feel so naked in, I am wearing Stripey Hat (it's my safety blankie), glasses (well, I'm always in those) and I'm covering the other 1/4 of my face with my hand.
Yes, SO comfortable with self photographing.
But this reminded me of this post on "Selfies" on Design Mom.
I find some solace in knowing that at the very least, I'm not the only one.
*Until I lose resolve and take it down.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Huh, and here I was wondering how someone could always look so put-together and natural in their photos. Meaning you. So stop being so self-conscious and just be self!
ReplyDeleteFunny, the first thing I noticed when coming on your site tonight was "Hey! There's a pic of the Mommy! She is so fun looking! That hat, those nails, the thoughtful eyes..." and then I scrolled on to see your confession. Welp, at least you know you successfully achieved one out of 1,000 :)
ReplyDeleteI blame myself. You grew up with your mother ducking and dodging people holding cameras. And yet, I was being iced at PT yesterday and showing everyone pictures of you on your wedding day, while saying lovingly, "She is so beautiful".
ReplyDeleteThanks you guys for the general outpouring! (3 comments is an outpouring on this blog.)
ReplyDeleteMaybe I shouldn't have let the cat out of the bag that I'm such an awkward soul, as it looks like I did a pretty good job at fooling the world!
Oh well, too late now.
Charity- the good thing about taking 1,000 pictures is that I think I found my natural smile in there somewhere. See...I'm doing it right now...so natural!
It's a happy medium between scowling and a chipmunk smile.
So there's a happy ending!