Friday, August 2, 2013

THE Cookie

Last night the unthinkable happened. I baked, and it wasn't the worst!
It was kind of magic really. I had a sweet-but-not-too-sweet tooth, and I was sitting on the counter next to the baking cabinet, and it just sort of came together.
It helps that it's a very simple recipe, and a cookie that means comfort and familiarity*. Kent and I like to call them "Meal Replacement Cookies", because they are the size of your fist and full of what could essentially be ones breakfast.
I remember taking these to the hospital in my purse when I was going into labor with Greta as I had heard rumors about them not feeding you once you get there...so you know, I wasn't going to let THAT happen. And I remember eating them the day after when my body just got schooled, and thinking Ohhh these cookies, they are just the same as always.
Make them, freeze them, put them in your purse/back pocket?, so they are there when you need them.

Great Grandma Eva's Oatmeal Cookies
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
 2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup milk
4 cups oats

Mix together, then add 4 cups oatmeal, then your bonuses like choc. chips, coconut, dried fruit, nuts, etc. (coconut and choc. chips are our favs)
I hand form these bad boys, to make sure they are big enough to be properly termed as "Meal Replacement".
Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.

* These cookies = My mama

No comments:

Post a Comment