Friday, August 30, 2013

These are the lessons folks

This morning Greta's toast was "too toasty" (means too crispy), and following the tears, and admonishment of the toaster to "do better next time", we had a little talk.
I mentioned that I didn't want to start my day this way, a melt down, over toast crispness, so early. And to my surprise the idea that there was such a thing as my day blew Greta's sweet mind.
"You mean MY day." Honestly perplexed.  "Your day? Mommy, you mean MY day!"
And here we come to the root of all sorts of daily distress.
Little Thing didn't know there was such a thing as another person's day. That the world doesn't work and move to her preferences, and that there are other people to consider. Lack of this knowledge explains a lot actually.
So I had to break it to her.
"The world isn't about you Greta. It's not about me either. Or daddy, or anyone. It's about loving Jesus and loving other people."
(Now, this is off the fly and on little sleep.)
But the truth of it struck me, as I examined my motives.
Rats.
It's not about my morning either.

I hope you are able to spend the extra long weekend loving on people! There's so much sadness and hurt going around. I'm sure the world could use it.



2 comments:

  1. Were you two sitting in my kitchen when this happened? How absolutely, well, "rats" indeed as this is the very spectacle that has been monstering our mornings this week. Thanks for the reminder who it is truly about.

    ReplyDelete