I love this picture of my mom on the beach.
The fun but obligatory sand castle has been constructed*. My brother and sister are probably off digging the giant sand hole, which is of secondary importance to the sand castle, but just as necessary for a trip to the beach.
There's a bottle of sunscreen, which means we were all sufficiently slathered from head to toe, in that brisk way moms do. And a roll of paper towels because there is power and security in having paper towels on hand.
So mom's probably thinking "Sighhh, this is the life. Kids are fed, sun screened, having fun. Kirsten is all boxed up and can't eat any more trash off the beach, I'll just take a little rest here next to her play pen."
But I would be shocked if she was there for more than 5 minutes. Because 1/2 a foot away I am giving her the hard look of a baby that is saying, What is she doing? Her eyes look different, oh wait I think they are closed? Like sleeping...I thought only I did that? Well, anyways I have needs, oh yes at least 1,000 pressing needs. I would like to sit on her lap for a few seconds, maybe have two sips of water, there's some trash across the way, new trash! How did I miss that earlier? I could really go for another dip in the water too. I don't think I can quite reach the ocean from here, nope...or the trash. Poor thing, she probably doesn't even realize. Better wake her....
And I bet you she was content to put aside her rest, and trail me around the beach some more.
Because at my mom's core is her love for her kids and grand kids. She is so tireless and hardworking for us, her body wears out way before her heart does.
And I think about that sometimes when Oliver is calling me from his bed, I can barely lift my head from my pillow, and I'm really tempted to ignore him and just sleep on.
But I'll think about my mom, and I know she would get up and go. She'd probably already be in there, picking him up and talking to him.
She's taught me time and again that hearts are stronger than bodies.
Love you mom!
*Growing up, there was always-always a sand castle.
Sunday, May 11, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love you Kirstie Girl!
ReplyDelete