Thursday, August 26, 2010

Playing Library

One of my favorite plays is playing library. This is how you play: You take that uninspiring book (you know the ones that you are embarrassed to take and read out in public for their capital L Lame covers) or series of books that you have in different editions (and look preposterous sitting next to each other on the shelf, like a couple of step kids*) and then put a nice clean brown paper jacket on them.
If that is not therapy, I just don't know what is.
But then my favorite part is designing their covers and spines with all those stickers, labels, and bits of paper you have stowed away for just the occasion (even if you didn't know it at the time).
I always stamp mine with my name on the back for obvious "that's mine" purposes, but also using that big wooden stamp makes me feel more librarian than anything else.
I love the way they bring new life and ownership to sad little books scrounged up for a dollar.


And lately I have been on the scrounge for all of Dorothy Sayer's mysteries. (Thanks Sarah!) They are smart like Sherlock Holmes, and fun like Jeeves & Wooster.
I found two more today at half price books, and I have been wiggling my toes in anticipation!


*Not knocking step kids.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for Lord Peter!

    And I must say that you have the most aesthetically pleasing collection of books that I've ever encountered. I'm almost convinced that more people would frequent libraries if those libraries organized their books according to color, as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea, they look so amazing!!! also I am in love with that little white hen? I think that is what it is...so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every book at your house will look like a page turner, no longer judged prematurely by its cover. Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete