I adore Anne with an e.
Off the top of my head I think there are around 8 Anne of Green Gables books*. All of which I consider home away from home.
She lives beautifully because she makes it so. Imagination and appreciation of beauty colors her life so that even her sorrows have merit.
I could gush about her all day, but you "kindred spirits" know because you've read the books too.
I knew I just had to do a silhouette of her to add to my collection. Her impeccable nose and great masses of red hair was meant for a profile.
L. M Montgomery based Anne's appearance off of a clip she had of Evelyn Nesbit, one of the original Gibson Girls. I think this profile has her looking her most Gibson. And with any luck she will be in the shop with the rest soon!
So for you Anne fans, I'm placing this portrait somewhere around Anne's House of Dreams. With her hair up to show off all that great hair and of course Mathew's Pearls.
"You'd find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair," said Anne reproachfully. "People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble is."
-Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables
*All with very outdated covers. I have long since covered them in brown paper and re-labled. The books are too good for their romance novel covers...Windswept hair in everyone of them. Blech. I am sure Anne would have turned her pretty nose up at them.
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a perfectly lovely idea--it seems quite fitting to have a portrait of dear Anne as I have read the books so many times she feels like a real friend. I can see a whole collection of fictional friends in this way--looking at their portraits and reminiscing about the stories we lived in our imaginations and the ways their tales helped to form us in real life.
ReplyDeleteThanks Katie! That's just what I had in mind when I started these. We all have pictures of our family and friends in our houses, but I have friends in books I'd like to have around to:)
ReplyDeleteUm, I LOVE the quote. It is going to be my new motto :)
ReplyDeleteAnn with an e is amazing! I love those books and how she writes about her life. She uses the best words. Sometimes I wish I could be Diana. I'm glad you added the pearls.
ReplyDelete