Monday, July 25, 2011

A Food Revolution.


















We are nuts about Jamie Oliver at our house. I got my first Jamie cookbook in High School when his Naked Chef show was on the air and I'd rather watch him rip herbs and stuff em in a fish than anything on MTV.
Soon after I got my first mortar and pestle as a graduation present from my parents, and I felt like nothing could stand in my way of the greatest culinary feats! My mom and my Granny are both outstanding cooks and the love of food has always been a part of how we operated as a family.
But there was something about Jamie's fun and careless approach I think, that kick started my love to cook...not just eat.
Alas, life happens. In particular college, where I was too poor to eat anything outside of the cafeteria meal plan. Then early marriage, eating boxed pasta on the floor for lack of funds and furniture comes to mind. Things started to look up though, we bought a table and chairs and then we started to host quite a bit! But, if there is anything that takes the fun out of cooking it's a new baby. Suddenly sleep and this squirrely thing in your arms is way more important than hitting the town for new and exciting ingredients, or standing over some stove.
But as mentioned, we are experiencing a bit of a food revolution around here. The wind is back in our sails and food has seemed funner than ever. Once again I'm dusting off the old mortar and pestle, grinding spices, using fistfuls of fresh herbs, buying balsamic, and bringing home those obscure grains and root vegetables that I used to let intimidate me. (Don't you look at me like that beet root. I know how easy you are to cook.)
And it all points back to when we came across Oliver's Twist on Netflix last month.  It is now our current late night watch and a daily kick in the pants to try something new.
I might share a little bit of the fun here, but how about you? Have you picked up one of those dodgy looking veggies lately and made something fun with it?

5 comments:

  1. We've taken to Brussels sprouts (brouts) lately, and wondering where they've been until now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Brussels sprouts rock. It's a shame they have such a bad rap. I'm having a hard time thinking of a vegetable that tastes yummier all roasted up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've started getting produce boxes from a local organic farmer so we have quite a mix each week of interesting edibles. I had never cooked beets, or turnips, or done anything with fresh lavender! All very exciting! Tonight, I'm attempting roasted turnips with the sauteed turnip greens! We'll see how that goes....

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I, too, heart Jamie Oliver and was sad to see his Food Revolution show got cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! I just watched an episode yesterday about roasting turnips. Apparently par boiling is the trick and then roasting the rest of the way. Can't wait to hear about all your new discoveries.
    Too bad about Food Revolution, but on the bright side, maybe he will have more time in the kitchen? I'm more partial to his cooking shows anyway:)

    ReplyDelete