The first time I ever saw Kent he played the drunk in our college production of Macbeth, but I didn't really see him until later that night at our college's equivilent to a talent show. Every kid and his roommate had a band and it was a string of the same loud covers until this skinny guy came on stage with one electric guitar.
Instantly I felt nervous for him. Poor guy all alone up there. He had guts to try something solo in front of 1,000+ people, but I remember feeling so nervous for him and hoping that there wasn't going to be any jeering.
The first few minutes he just stood there quietly playing as if to himself. Then the talk and laughter mumbled to a hush. He sang this song.
Since then the sound of a telecaster (Kent had made one to match his distinct sound) and especially this song, is 9 years ago. And we were strangers, and this was one of the most beautiful things I had heard.
Golly, I'm all sentiment today. Just one of those Lovesplosions I guess. I was thinking about this as I was driving home from Costco today. And having nowhere better to put it, I thought I would remember it here. Life is so bustling busy and sometimes its easy to think that we just always were, and now and tomorrow is all there is. But Jeff Buckley reminds me otherwise.
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment