Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Homemade Basil Lemon-Limeade

It all started with a box full of Meyer Lemons from Costco. I had never bought Meyers before and was so pleasantly surprised by their buttery smooth skin, orangey tint, and slightly sweeter flavor. I could have almost been content to look at them piled in the kitchen bowl, but today was hot, and it was time to put them to practical use.
The day called for homemade lemonade but I wanted to have a little fun with it. Here's how I did it...























Basil Lemon-Limeade
  • 6-7 Meyer lemons
  • 2-3 Limes
  • The zest of 1 lemon and two limes
  • Fresh basil
  • Sugar (to taste, but about 1 cup) For fun I made a flavored sugar by grinding some of the zest in the sugar with a mortar and pestle, until it was a cheerful orange color and the house smelled amazing!
  • Half a pitcher of water.
I garnished mine with a sprig of fresh basil and a dollop of rum over ice. Yum!




1 comment: