Monday, September 12, 2011

Uniforms: The Wellie

Fall is whispering, which means it is just about time to dust off the rest of my official uniform! My rain boots. I could (and do) wear a pair about 9 months of the year.
And I often wonder to myself why everyone else isnt? I can't imagine anyone liking wet ankles. Oh, don't get me started on wet ankles. I remember all too well walking to the bus as a kid and sitting in the first three classes of the day with soggy jean bottoms, and when you walked they schlapped so heavily against your ankles, blech. Better to wear boots.
Sadly, my trusty Whaley Wellies are taking in water and it is time to search for some new best friends. But, it won't be totally out with the old and in with the new. Good old Whaleys are only going the way of the Rain Deers before them and living an easier life in the warm closet with better hours as garden and tromping boots.
But there is so much to consider when shopping rain boots. Don't you think? They are not to be snatched in a day willy nilly. I think there is more to consider than even swimsuit or jeans shopping demands. Ok, maybe not jeans shopping...jeans shopping is the worst.
There's Make: Is it a solid one piece design? no glued on soles that will leak come Christmas time.
Style: (I like a rain boot that hits right below the knee. It's the thinnest part of your leg and so dainty contrasted to mid calf boots that hit the thickest part of your calf.)
Fit: I think a narrow cut is best so that they fit snugly with skinny legged jeans, and when you wear them with skirts they don't flop around something awful. Rain boot rash...shudder.
Color: They must be cheerful boot that's all "Hello Hello!" and "Hi I'm a boot, let's be friends!" on an other wise grey and rainy day when people are feeling sulky.
Price: Last, but always the deciding factor. A good rain boot and a cheerful one is something I save and save for. But sometimes, let's be honest, the prices are ridiculous and I think the makers need to be reminded that they are still selling what is essentially 2 medium-ish tubes of rubber.
But look what beauties they are!


















































Boots by Joules and Hunter

3 comments:

  1. Ok...I am going to have to say that I think your favorite wellies are the ones on the top right! Based on the criteria that you presented :) I think they are definitely a boot that says "Hi! Lets be friends!" and the bow makes them pleasantly girly.

    The others are cute too, although I think my favorites would have to be the red ones too. I would say that I like the striped ones, but I don't know about horizontal stripes on my legs. They're very nautical.

    I have a pair of boots right now, but they are not pretty. Just plan old black rubber...although they do have a nice green sole :) I'm not sad though since I only use them to tread through chicken poop whilst collecting eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why Juice, you hit it right on the nose! They are like little darling Santa Boots that say Ho Ho Ho! Everyday is Christmas! aren't they?
    Only, I finally after way too much research, found a pair that fit like a dream and meet all my qualifications except for perhaps the cheer factor. They are black and say "Why Hello" in a chic and very practical way. (Which I think I will have to make up for by wearing a cheery hat....maybe with animal ears, we'll see.)
    I bet your trusty green soled boots look perfectly perfect collecting eggs Farmer Juice...when in Rome!

    ReplyDelete