Are you best friends with your spouse?
Our church is doing a really great series on Marriage right now, and this week's sermon was all about friendship in marriage (friends with benefits). I loved it!
Why is it that you don't often hear much about fostering your friendship with your spouse? Romance is awesome, and not to be sneezed upon. Yes, I will always accept chocolates, flowers, and kitchen waltzing as proper expressions of affection. But on a day to day basis, when chocolates and flowers are not to be had, and my pregnant belly is too hilariously huge to waltz, and let's just face it...kids. Little romance killers the whole lot of them.
Then it's thank goodness I married my best friend, and it needs to stay that way. Also, I don't want to laugh at poop or people falling down all by myself.
Actually I think I turn a shade pinker when Kent calls me his best friend. It's such a compliment! (Actually I might turn a shade pinker still if he called me his lover. There is not a more uncomfortable/lame word that comes to mind. But he wouldn't say that anyways. I think he agrees with me that "lover" is right up there with "sliders" (those silly tiny burgers) and Kent's personal favorite word to hate, "planful"... not a word.)
And why not blush and be flattered? Being best friends is an accomplishment. You make oaths to each other and God to stay together until death does part, which is commendable.
But how much sweeter would it be to part this life as friends?
The picture is of us licking the Arc de Triomphe on our trip to Paris in 2006. Why lick the Arc de Triomphe? I guess, the idea of perhaps being the first two people to do so was too enticing.
True pioneers.
Monday, January 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Aww...as I look at this picture I can imagine myself behind the camera! How much fun was THAT? And yes...true pioneers...that happen to be lucky that you did not catch some rare and unfortunate disease from licking that thing!! :) Ahhh...remember underneath the Arc de Triomphe when you were trying to help pull my tights up and you spilt 'em right down the middle?? I'm laughing at work now. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI miss you, you know. And I am so very glad that Kent does such a great job at taking care of you and being your best friend! It is GRAND isn't it?
Hahaha! I totally forgot about the tights! Yep, I sure split those in two for you!
ReplyDeleteSo much fun:)
Xoxo!