Thursday, January 12, 2012

In which Boots gets a name.


And we have decided on Oliver Atticus* Walter. Handsome isn't it?

It's funny how much personality is imparted with a name. It's not always the case of course, but when picking his name we tried to choose one that best embodied some of the qualities we were hoping for in our boy.
And when we thought of Oliver words like even tempered, bookish, and imaginative came to mind. Now that wouldn't be so bad would it?
But perhaps at the top of the list of our hopes and dreams is that he would be a gentle little guy. We know that boys are often more energetic than girls blah blah, but we aren't talking about activity levels or boldness even, (we hope he has a healthy dose of both!) But more accurately we are hoping that he will be kind and gentle in spirit. And my own heart holds a secret wish that he would love beauty and the making of things more than their destruction...a rare quality in a little boy for sure. But I am holding out for these qualities perhaps when he grows into a man.
So we did our best with his name. Our first step in raising a boy!
Everything about this adventure feels new.

*Atticus is after Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. One of Kent's favorite characters in fiction. A brave man, and a great dad.



image source

7 comments:

  1. My heart is so happy for you and your precious family. I love you SO MUCH, you know. And little Oli...is it ok if I call him Oli sometimes? Tell me now if it isn't...because I will stop! Promise. Even if I can't knick name him, I love him so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juice:) I so wish you could be here to share all this new craziness with me! I love you too!
      And we love the name Oli! It was actually one of the deciding factors for me, because you know I love a good shortened nick name. Greta and Oli, too cute!

      Delete
  2. Love the name! Atticus Finch is a favorite of mine, as well. Can't go wrong with the film/Gregory Peck association, either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I Love the name you guys pick and all the thought you put into choosing it!!! I'm so happy for you guys:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, YAY!! I love Greta and Oli so very much and I miss you all terribly. Give Greta girl a hug from Auntie Juice and give Oli a pat!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete