Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Roomies


This week Oliver moved in with his sister.
Yesssssss!
When we planned Oliver's life for him, before he was born, we had him out of our room in one month, just like Greta did. But of course those golden plans are really only made so that you can have a rich laugh at them afterward. He was in our room for 10 months!
We had our fingers crossed the first night. Is Greta going to wake him/us up at night howling for a cup of water like she did the night before? Will Oliver wake up at 6:00am hungry and totally destroy Greta's sleep for the day?
Well, it's been two days, and neither of those scenarios have happened so far.
Like so many transitions we hem and haw over, this one has been surprisingly smooth!
The first night Oliver cried a little, and Greta sang him her favorite lullaby in bed with the lights off. (Including the little monologue before it.) My heart grew a little too tight for my chest, it was adorable.
And as much as Kent and I needed a room of our own, like grown ups, I think this arrangement is going to be best for Greta. To be concerned for someone else first, before herself, is going to be so good for her to grow in. For example, she is usually very particular about her bedtime "settings".  Like which night light to use at night (globe? princess light? hallway light?) but on that first night when she noticed that Oliver wasn't used to it, and that it would help him sleep better having no night light at all, she decided in favor of turning them all off.
I love seeing that, and I am hoping that this will be a good experience for both of them. Hey, I know I'm happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment