Friday, September 19, 2014

Palm Springs

So my grandpa imparted a great saying recently. "Live life moderately...in moderation." I'm all about this.
Last week, my dear Meg and I kissed our husbands and babies goodbye, hopped on a plane, and got ourselves to Palm Springs. Because sun and a pool, that's why.

Our itinerary was pretty packed:

- Sit by the pool.
- Get in the pool.
- Make jokes.
- Laugh
- Instagram
- Attract the pool boy's attention because, am I getting thirsty?
- Drink something with muddled fruit in it.
- Talk about meaningful things. 
- Be listened to.
- Take your drink into the pool, because it's hot, (did you know glassware floats?)
- Attract the pool boy's attention because maybe I'm hungry now?
- Find ourselves a cabana so that we can eat lying down.
- Instagram
- Dry off, maybe check out a few neighboring mid century design shops.
- Laugh because we haven't met one woman in 24 hours besides each other, thanks to Palm Spring's vibrant Gay community. Bonus -We are the most beautiful women in Palm Springs.
- Instagram Cacti
- Dinner somewhere "trendy", where the food is amazing, but the portions are... let's call them cute.   That's cool, makes it easier to...
- Muscle ourselves back into wet bathing suits.
- Night Swim
- Night Cap 
- Night giggles and display of pool tricks (of which I know none, except pretending to be a shark.)
- Stretch out into our very own bed, which has been made, and turned down for us during the course of the day, to Instagram, and eventually sleep until we feel like waking up.

Are you crying right now moms? I know. I didn't want to make you cry. But you totally get it don't you.
This is only everything any of us want to do, at just about any given time.
EVERYTHING.
(And I need you to not hate us for flooding your instagram feed with it for 3 those days. We regret nothing.)
I'm a pretty firm believer that you don't need a water tight reason to stop, drop, and do something unabashedly leisurely*.  Life is ragtag and messy.  It's ok to step out of it for a little while, if for no other reason than to restore balance. 
Life is precious, friendships are priceless, and bodies and minds need rest, like they need work. 
Balance is a beautiful thing.


*Although, may I just add, that being a couple of tired (and very pale) Northwest moms, going through some head spinning changes at home, and a monster year on the horizon, we could find you some reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment