I have a pen pal. A dear friend who sends me tidbits to inspire and encourage. Yesterday she sent me this poem.
Do you love toast as much as I do?*
ODE TO TOAST
"When you were alive twas your favorite food..."
Lucky, lucky tongue, rejoice in toast's crisper,
toughened up crumb. The once limp slice stands up
to honey, mustard, blackberry jam, or pastrami piled
high, its folds like those of a Roman's toga. Amber
grain endured a second trial by fire. Toast is bread
twice baked, crustily double blessed, like the warrior
who twice escaped death at his enemies' hands
and survived into peace-time, not just unharmed
buy husky, hardy and tanned by the sun, his grateful
faith intact. A blacksmith by trade he takes grave joy
in forging a plowshare from his sword. Toast's toothsome
crunch echoes the sandpaper scrape
of a kiss from he of the unshaven cheek,
a kiss that turns my knees to melted butter.
-Amy Gerstler
from"Ghost Girl"
Toast mosaic

I APPROVE OF THIS POST. Also, nom.
ReplyDeleteFun poem, and I LOVE the picture!!
ReplyDelete