Wednesday, December 22, 2010

2 Years Old!

Monday was Greta's birthday, which means that the little girl Kent is reading to in the next room is two years old!
We have been pretty swamped with parties lately so it was a happy and quiet family affair Monday. Greta took us to Maggiano's and refused all the treats that came her way except for the chocolate cake. Which she swiftly crammed into her face without pause or hesitation. Some things don't change even in a year!...I suspect womanly instincts are involved.

We had a delicious dinner and she spent the rest of the evening dancing up and down the sidewalk to the amusement of restaurant goers, and passers by.
At 7:00 the Christmas Parade started and she met all manner of Christmas characters, and even danced with a few.

Dancing is her new capital T Thing! She will dance anywhere to anything. From her booster seat to church aisles, she is there swinging her arms and hips (much like an alpine skier) to any old tune.
 Her moves in that video were mild compared to the mess she is usually busting out. Needless to say we are very proud, and bought her some extra flouncy skirts for her birthday to help her along.
Other skills of note are her ABC's! She can sound them all out now, including that pesky W which she figured out yesterday (sounds like DUB-Uhh-uhhh) and knows which names and sound belong to which letter if you point to them in books, the store, or anywhere.
But I think the achievement most dear to my heart is her finally recognizing me with my title. "Mama!" She has said "Daddy" since some ridiculous-early age. Along with Nana, Papa, countless household objects, functions, salutations, animals etc...but Mom, Mommy, Mama, she would not say. 
Happily this month she has decided to acknowledge me, and I think she gets more kisses all over her sweet face because of it than is probably healthy for her (And that's a fact. We have been sharing colds back and forth for a month now.)
Well, Christmas is in full swing at our house. Kent is impressing us with new family recipes daily, and my dad and I have picked the state over for all of our favorite things to munch on while we watch Christmas movies, read our books, or play board games.
Tomorrow we are having Christmas brunch at our friends house, Christmas eve is sugar cookie day, and Christmas (which is also Dad's birthday) we will have family over for a traditional English Roast Dinner with Yorkshire pudding, roasted vegetables, and apple pie!
Isn't food just the best way to celebrate anything?




3 comments:

  1. Yes I would agree that food is the best way to celebrate!!
    Happy Birthday to Greta!!! TWO years old!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a magical time we had on her birthday! I love the video of her and feel so honored to have seen it live. Now about your Christmas...some people dream of white ones but I dream of ones just like yours is this year. Savor and enjoy every moment Kirstie Girl. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sweet precious girl! She is so awesome and I wish we could come visit and have a dance party. Brennan likes to dance too!! I can't believe she is already two...makes me want to cry (not surprising) I love you, you know.

    ReplyDelete